Hydrangeas are round, lush florally bulbs. They have an appearance that makes them adaptable for just about any type of décor. They are easily made to look casual, yet elegant, or even rustic. Styled correctly, they can accentuate any style of room. Change the vase and you can change the whole look.
They can be casual and rustic with the right greenery and wood as accents, or they can be elegant in silver buckets or fancy vases. If you get them as a gift, or are intending to buy them, there are a few things you should know to make them last as long as possible.
Hydrangeas are extremely versatile as they come in a variety of colors and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. They naturally bloom in pink, white, blue, purple, and even green, or white and green, and are often tinted to match the decor. Their luxurious nature makes them a favorite at parties and big affairs, as even one hydrangea in a vase on a table makes a statement.
To get the most out of your hydrangeas follow these simple tips:
- When you get them home put them in water immediately.
- Cut the stems diagonally under running cold water. A diagonal cut gives the water a bigger absorption surface.
- Remove all the leaves as they will only draw water away from the blooms. You can reuse them in a shallow dish for color.
- Put the flowers in a vase or other container with just 2 drops of dish soap and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Also put an ice cube in the water to keep it cold. The bubbles from the soap will disappear in a bit.
- Change the water every 2 or 3 days and re-cut the stems when you do and add more dish soap and sugar. Put another ice cube in the water as well.
If you follow these easy steps you should have your hydrangeas for a good while. If the petals begin to look worn, lightly spray them with cold water as they also absorb water through their blooms.
Hydrangeas are very unique and require just a little extra care to make them last. But It is well worth the trouble to care for them well, because they add that special “something” to every occasion.